Just two days following the multiple altercations between several New Orleans Saints and Dallas Cowboys players during their joint practice on Tuesday, the NFL has issued a hefty $500,000 fine to both teams for those actions.
This is not the first time that the league has issued fines following physical issues between two teams in a joint practice, as the Giants and Lions were cited in 2024 for multiple altercations during their two-day joint practices, but those fines were only $200,000 per team. This time, the league has instead chosen to issue the maximum amount that it can fine an organization for a single violation.
Advertisement
The NFL is standing firm on the enforcement of sportsmanship, even during joint practices. The Saints and Cowboys had multiple brawls throughout the practice, but even with those scuffles and high tensions, they were able to work through the aggressive emotions and complete the practice.
The league will always ensure that its brand is represented well at all times. However, situations like this are a rarity for the Saints, as they have held several joint practice sessions in recent histort without any altercations or fines being issued. Last week, they hosted the Jacksonville Jaguars which went exceptionally smoothly. They also just completed a joint practice earlier today with the Rams without an incident taking place.
Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones said that they will appeal the $500,000 fine from the NFL for the incidents against the Saints, however he said it was understandable they would be a penalized. Jones also said they will fine the players individually that were involved as well. No word yet if the Saints will also appeal or take any action against their players involved.
How do you feel about the fines against the Saints and Cowboys? Do you think the NFL was excessive in issuing the maximum fine?